Villa Singelzicht is a national monument from 1909. Many authentic elements have been preserved in this original Jugendstil villa, such as the stained glass windows and tiles from the Harlingen tile factory Van Hulst. The house was originally a notary’s house.
In World War II, a German army commander occupied the house. This was a strategic move, since the English Garden (Engelse Tuin), which the house overlooks, is part of the Atlantic Wall defense line. There was a cannon on the stronghold, which this commander was responsible for.
The photo shows how Villa Singelzicht was liberated by the Canadians in 1945.